Major League Baseball has no plans to strip recent World Series titles from the Houston Astros or Boston Red Sox, as per commissioner Rob Manfred.
In his first public interview since reporting notable penalties for the Astros a week ago, Manfred disclosed to Fox Business Network that MLB will respect the “long tradition in baseball of not trying to change what happened.
“I think the answer from our perspective is to be transparent about what the investigation showed and let our fans make their own decision about what happened,” Manfred said Wednesday.
Manfred’s remarks came one day after the Los Angeles City Council consistently approved a resolution asking MLB to strip championships from the 2017 Astros and 2018 Red Sox and award them to the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Manfred and MLB affirmed on Jan. 13 that the Astros illegally utilized technology to take rivals’ signs all through the 2017 regular season and postseason. The penalties included season-long suspensions for general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch, the relinquishment of four draft picks within the initial two rounds and a $5 million fine.
MLB still is exploring claims that the 2018 Red Sox additionally utilized technology to steal rivals’ signs.
“We haven’t concluded our investigation with the Red Sox,” Manfred said. “So it’s a little hard to take the trophy away from somebody who hasn’t yet been found to do something wrong. We don’t know what the outcome of that’s going to be.”
The Dodgers lost to both the 2017 Astros and the 2018 Red Sox in the Fall Classic, however, Manfred said that regardless of sign stealing, it is “absolutely unclear that the Dodgers would have been the World Series champion.”
Manfred likewise noticed that Luhnow, Hinch, previous Red Sox manager Alex Cora and previous Mets manager Carlos Beltran all have “lost their jobs over this” and emphasized that last week’s penalties “will serve as a deterrent for this behavior going forward.”